Friday 5 September 2014

the Lord's leading

12th November

What a week it has been. We put in our offer last Tuesday and the vendors took the evening to discuss it which raised our hopes but we were then told it had been rejected. Just a little more said the estate agent. So we agreed with the boys to offer 302 and after a whole weekend of waiting that offer was rejected too. The discussions with the estate agent have been endless but we are left with an invite to meet the vendors again for a sandwich and cup of tea and be shown over their home. This potentially would work well with moving stuff out of the bungalow and the next chemo. I have been reminded of something else Joe said in his message. How before a momentous event we can trace through God’s Word and see how His people were weakened. Gideon for example, and how he had to make his army smaller and smaller. During the week I felt emotionally drained and weakened. Julian was definitely weakened after his chemo. Now after a few sleepless nights I feel both physically and mentally weakened. “Aim high and follow your dreams” I used to say to Dan. So why am I not following my own advice? Do we sit here and do nothing apart from become frustrated? Or do we chase this dream and meet the vendors? Julian is more prepared to simply wait. Last night I read Isaiah 42. I will lead blind Israel down a new path, guiding them along an unfamiliar way. I will brighten the darkness before them and smooth out the road ahead of them...... Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.

When we were last down at Steve’s he mentioned how he was reading through Isaiah and what a dismal picture it was. I remembered how at chapter 40 the book changes dramatically and so I resolved to read through those precious and uplifting latter chapters once more. I remembered how Charles and others had told us to read God’s Word when we needed guidance and so Julian and I began reading through the Psalms but all we were reading about was water!! And with Julian’s fear of flooding it seemed unlikely that God would find us a house near a riverbank!! When I began reading through the last half of Isaiah I couldn’t fail to notice how often water was mentioned. I am the Lord who opened a way through the waters, making a dry path through the sea. Joe touched on this in his sermon that memorable Sunday.

Isaiah 41:17 “When the poor and needy search for water and there is none,
and their tongues are parched from thirst,
then I, the Lord, will answer them.
I, the God of Israel, will never abandon them.
18 I will open up rivers for them on the high plateaus.
I will give them fountains of water in the valleys.
I will fill the desert with pools of water.
Rivers fed by springs will flow across the parched ground.

43:20 Yes, I will make rivers in the dry wasteland
so my chosen people can be refreshed.

Ah, now was this meaning something to me? The name Tiddleywink is said to derive its name through someone giving a drink to refresh passing cattle drovers!! Charles was the first to mention what a great place that would be to stop off on the Bancroft route to Devon for a cup of tea. We also had noted how deceptively close the property is to the M4 and how other family members and friends might do the same!

Isaiah 44:3 For I will pour out water to quench your thirst
and to irrigate your parched fields.
And I will pour out my Spirit on your descendants,
and my blessing on your children.
4 They will thrive like watered grass,
like willows on a riverbank.

48:17 “I am the Lord your God,
who teaches you what is good for you
and leads you along the paths you should follow.
18 Oh, that you had listened to my commands!
Then you would have had peace flowing like a gentle river
and righteousness rolling over you like waves in the sea.

20 The Lord has redeemed His servants,
the people of Israel.
21 They were not thirsty
when He led them through the desert.
He divided the rock,
and water gushed out for them to drink.

49:9 They will be My sheep, grazing in green pastures
and on hills that were previously bare.
10 They will neither hunger nor thirst.
The searing sun will not reach them anymore.
For the Lord in his mercy will lead them;
He will lead them beside cool waters.

55:1 Is anyone thirsty?
Come and drink—
even if you have no money!

58:11 The Lord will guide you continually,
giving you water when you are dry
and restoring your strength.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like an ever-flowing spring.

Click here to view next post

No comments:

Post a Comment